By Vatsal Thakkar, Pat Levitt
A historical past of dependancy covers how and why humans develop into hooked on quite a few medicines, meals, or actions, and the way addictions can be treated...Title: .Addiction..Author: .Thakkar, Vatsal, M.D...Publisher: .Facts on File..Publication Date: .2006/07/01..Number of Pages: .128..Binding style: .LIBRARY..Library of Congress: .2006004995
Read Online or Download Addiction PDF
Similar personal health books
What's post-traumatic tension affliction? What are the indications of carpal tunnel syndrome? scholars will research the motives, indicators, diagnoses, assessments, remedies and prognoses of greater than a hundred and forty illnesses with ailing! greater than 240 pictures increase the textual content -- together with 4 colour inserts --while sidebars supply biographies of medical professionals and scientists affiliated with the illnesses; threat elements; preventative measures; and easy data.
Thousands of youngsters and teens attend raves and dance golf equipment each year, and drug use is rampant at lots of those events. the easiest identified of the so-called membership medicines used usually at raves is ecstasy, yet there are numerous others always being brought to the rave scene. numerous of them can be slipped into beverages to be used as date-rape medications - sufferers are incapacitated and unaware that they have got been drugged.
Rabies is because of a awesome virus that has an extended background. After a human is bitten by means of a rabid animal, the rabies virus travels through the nerves to the mind, the place it replicates. If left untreated, the virus produces profound alterations in habit and eventually, deadly encephalitis. regardless of availability of powerful remedies and vaccines, rabies is liable for hundreds of thousands of human deaths every year in constructing nations.
Fowl pox used to be a ceremony of passage for kids and was once usually seemed upon as only a nuisance, even though this disorder could cause issues in a few humans. This name offers an outline of this sickness as a result of a herpes virus often called the varicella-zoster virus, explaining the symptoms of the illness.
- Teen Dream Power. Unlock the Meaning of Your Dreams
- The Autism Sourcebook: Everything You Need to Know About Diagnosis, Treatment, Coping, and Healing
- Tuberculosis (Twenty-First Century Medical Library)
- Alzheimer's Disease And Other Dementias (Psychological Disorders)
- Becoming a Midwife in the 21st Century
- Caffeine and Nicotine (Drug Abuse Prevention Library)
Additional info for Addiction
8. We made a list of all the persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all. 9. We made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others. 10. We continued to take personal inventory and, when we were wrong, we promptly admitted it. 11. We sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God, as we understood him, praying only for knowledge of his will for us and the power to carry that out. 12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
By the late fifteenth century, the sale of alcohol in Germany was prohibited on Sundays and religious holidays. Germany was also the first nation to start the temperance movement. Temperance refers to moderation or self-restraint in the use of alcohol. This philosophy is still common throughout much of the world today. Benjamin Rush (1745–1813), a Philadelphia physician known for signing the Declaration of Independence and as the father of American psychiatry, believed that alcohol consumption had negative health effects and that addiction to alcohol was a disease.
Jeanine was hired by GM right out of high school and moved up from a clerical job to the assembly plant floor within a few years. She earns an excellent salary and has vacation time and benefits. Jeanine can remember when everyone in the plant smoked, and all of their smoke breaks were taken indoors. Once, there were even cigarette vending machines in all the break rooms. Back in those days, no one thought about quitting. Norm and Jeanine both smoke a cigarette first thing in the morning, before breakfast.